Insane Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese is one of those ultimate childhood favorites and is most definitely comfort food. So how do we make it Insane? – Add green chiles, curry, onions, bread crumbs, and then bake it!!
What You’ll Need:
– 1/2 Lb of your choice of pasta (elbow macaroni or penne)
– 2 4oz cans of diced green chiles (Fresh Anaheim’s would be an insane substitue here!)
– 3 tablespoon butter
– 3 tablespoon flour
– 1 tablespoon powdered curry
– 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
– 3 cups milk
– 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
– 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
– 1 large egg
– 12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Fresh black pepper
-3 tablespoons butter
-1 cup bread crumbs (we used Panko)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and start a pot of boiling water.
While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and curry and stir for about five minutes – Make sure it’s not lumpy! Stir in the milk, onion, garlic, red chili flakes, and green chiles. Simmer until slightly reduced (approx 10 minutes)
Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Once your pasta is done, fold it into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Saute so they brown! Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving. ENJOY!